Originally Posted by KJP
Originally Posted by Sweetie
My husband as a teacher does this he has everyone take tests and quizzes written even if they have a 504 or IEP accommodation. Those who have accommodations who dont do well, he asks to come by at lunch or after school...then he chats with them about the stuff on the test, basically giving them an oral test. If they know their stuff he pulls out the test paper and documents...oral test administered and writes the new grade. Sometimes they don't even know they are getting an oral test. If they don't do well orally, he asks them to study again the topics and will retest orally in a few days.

Why does he do it this way instead of doing the initial test with the accommodation?

Yeah, I didn't like the sound of this at all... And I'd raise hell. It reminds me of my DS's school's/teacher's attempts to show that they really didn't need to give DS his accommodations... Meanwhile, DS, due to being routinely off-the-bat, denied accommodations started falling apart emotionally - getting stressed, acting out, ect. To which they respond he needs social skills class. Uh, then I find out they're just not giving him his accommodations to "see how he does without them, build his stamina, etc." If a kid has an IEP that gives certain accommodations durng tests and quizzes, the teacher needs to give the accommodations. Period. It is not up to the teacher to decide when the student "really needs them!" The teacher has absolutely no right to 'experiment' to see how well the kid does without them. The accommodations are hard enough to get as it is without some teacher deciding unilaterally to toss them aside just to see how much he can push a student with a disability! Sorry, but this really pissed me off (having gone through this SEVERAL times already and my DS is only beginning 2nd grade). It really is making me sour on teachers - they are nnot neuropsychologists, neuromuscular doctors, connective tissue doctors or anywhere near qualified to be making decisions like this about disabilities they clearly know almost nothing about.

Last edited by Irena; 09/10/13 04:59 AM.