HappilyMom, my ds is considerably farther along in school and doesn't have quite all of the same challenges, but fwiw, here are a few suggestions. Also, fwiw, can you ask for a draft copy of the recommendations that will be coming with the final neuropsych report? It would be helpful to have that now - although I realize you will have it eventually and of course you can always update the IEP.

For handwriting challenges due to dysgraphia:

Scribing answers that are longer than fill in the blank. In early elementary, this usually means "writers workshop".

Allow your ds to begin to learn to type asap. You could request that the school's OT teach him. His hands are likely too tiny at this point to learn traditional touch typing - but that's ok. Lots of students learn adaptive typing - you let them come up with their own system through practice. Some students only use their thumbs and index fingers - looks a bit like texting wink The reason to let him start typing now is to get used to it and build up a tiny bit of "speed" now so that by 3rd grade he can rely on typing and won't have to rely on a scribe. I put "speed" i parentheses because most of us tend to think of typing as needing to be "fast" to be efficient but, for a dysgraphic student, even if typing is really slow it will most likely be quicker than handwriting, it will most likely be much less stressful, neater, more legible, easier to get the spelling correct the first time around, and you'll see big differences in the amount of grammar/punctuation mistakes.

You can request handwriting instruction and fine motor work from the school's OT. I don't know the ins and outs of your school district, but whether or not your ds will qualify will depend on what the neuropsych/et al recommend as well as meeting a set of criteria defined by your school district.

Oral response on fluency tests

Provide the student with copies of whatever notes/etc they are supposed to copy from the board (copying can be *extremely* unreliable, as well as too slow to keep up with) for dysgraphic students.

Testing is most likely a non-issue in first grade, but fwiw, these are the accommodations our ds has for testing due to his dysgraphia:
-> Time and 1/2 extended time
-> Write answers in the answer book (instead of having to fill in bubbles on a bubble sheet
-> Testing in a quiet location
-> Use of a word processor for essay answers (this is probably an accommodation your ds won't need for 1-2 years when the amount and pace of writing picks up in the classroom.
-> Oral response on fluency tests (these are the short timed tests such as "Mad Minutes", math facts, etc).

Accommodations our ds uses that your ds probably doesn't need until he's a little further along in school:
-> Extended time on tests
-> Use laptop or other computer to type out math assignments
-> Extended time and/or reduced number of problems on homework assignments when needed

For dyspraxia:
If your ds has low muscle tone or he has challenges with gross motor skills, you might want to request adaptive PE class in place of regular PE. Even if you don't feel your ds needs any accommodations for the dyspraxia, you should note it on the medical information paperwork that is on file for your ds in the school's office.

Vision challenges:
Seating close to board
Copy of notes on board
Allow your ds to use any strategies his VT dr or therapists suggest to help prevent eye strain etc in class - my dd used to take a water bottle to school so she could sip through a straw when her eyes were not focusing, and she also does "pencil pushups" and things like that when she needs to while working in the classroom.

Anxiety/etc
I hope your ds will experience what our ds experienced - our ds was significantly anxious the year he was initially suspected of having ADHD, anxiety so bad he was having panic attacks and was scared to go upstairs to his room at school or into his own bed at home. The good news is - our ds' anxiety disappeared almost overnight once he had accommodations and remediation for his other challenges.

That's all I can think of at the moment - hope it helps a little bit!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 09/10/13 12:30 AM.