Sweetie, I'm guessing your dh is a middle school (or at least upper elementary school) teacher? If so, I'm surprised that there are still students who have oral response as an accommodation, unless they are students who can't use their hands at all (to type or handwrite). The goal our school district and our professionals (and myself) aim for with all students is the ability to *independently* produce their schoolwork without having to rely on accommodations like scribing - so in our district, students who can't rely on handwriting would move from scribing in early elementary to keyboarding by the time they are in 3rd/4th grade (if not earlier). I am guessing from what you wrote your dh would allow a student who has to keyboard to use their keyboarding accommodation - at least I hope he would! I totally understand the logistical challenges of teaching so many students and also having quite a few IEPs and 504s mixed in, but there are so many nuances of why it's important to follow those accommodations. For instance, writing by hand causes my ds actual, real live pain. If he was forced to use handwriting for a test, he'd be in pain not only during that test but for several hours after - which is going to potentially impact his ability to concentrate (and keyboard) in the classes that follow that test period. How does your dh decide who "didn't do well" on the test? If my ds has a 504 plan allowing keyboarding, and he misses one problem, while another student who has no 504 plan misses 10... how does your dh make the determination that my son missed that one point because he was using handwriting? The mistakes kids with dysgraphia make are not always blazingly obviously dysgraphic mistakes (reversals, copy errors etc) - sometimes they are mistakes due to working memory being so stuffed full with the act of generating letters non-automatically they can't recall info stored in memory. What is the student who is told they won't receive their accommodations going to think of what the teacher is doing? By the time most students are in middle school (and upper elementary) they are very aware of the extent of their challenges, as well as very aware that they have 504 plans or IEPs and that there are accommodations they are supposed to be receiving. My ds has lost respect for teachers who made it difficult for him to use his accommodations. And lastly, while it's wonderful that your dh is offering the students who should have had accommodations a chance to retake the test via oral response - what about the time lost for the student? When are they taking that extra test the second time around? During a time they are supposed to be in a study hall? During practice? Most student's days are jam-packed at school, and many of our kids with disabilities (and accommodations) are spending 2-3 times the amount of time on homework after school that there peers are. You mentioned some students are happy to take their "B" and don't bother coming back to retake the test - how does your dh know they are happy about the B? What about a student who really does care but also gives up in the face of feeling that a teacher doesn't care? It may not sound logical or fair to your dh, but I can see my ds processing the message of a repeat test very differently from what your dh intends. And last thing.... if he *doesn't* offer the accommodations outlined in a student's 504 or IEP, isn't he placing the school district in a vulnerable position should the student someday sue the district? While there might never be any reason to sue over his class.... I believe this could still come up in testimony in a legal confrontation if the family chooses to sue to resolve another IEP/504 issue.

Sorry for the thought explosion there - I'm not trying to nit-pick at your dh and I'm sure he's a wonderful and thoughtful caring teacher and I understand he's in a tough situation.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 09/10/13 12:26 AM.