Originally Posted by MumOfThree
Dude, on current IQ tests the tail is so compressed that 130 / 98th is usually considered the started if gifted (MG) while 138 / 99th is generally considered the start of HG and 145 / 99.9th is HG+/EG/PG (depending on who you speak to). My DD has a FSIQ of 146, I'll refer to her as HG+, but not EG or PG because I really think that 146 is accurate, not a failure of the test to measure how far beyond that she is, where as there are plenty of kids on this board who may have the same score but could have gone way beyond that with more test. But that is ultimately the problem wih modern tests and the Hg+, it's fairly well impossible to distinguish beyond 145, or even possibly a bit below that for a quirky kid who misses some "easy" early questions. What 145 is mostly telling you is "beyond the test's ability to measure accurately" (within the realm of assuming the test is accurate in the first place).

If you look at the technical reports of the SB5 there are charts showing scores for kids that did the SB5 and the LM and kids testing 140+ mostly tested in the 170-180 range on the LM.

Thanks for that. I know a lot of confusion gets generated here because people are using the same terminology to refer to different things. It also doesn't help that MG can stand for "mildly gifted" or "moderately gifted," which I consider two very different things. I normally refer to my DD8 as MG, by which I mean the second thing, and she'd just clear the hurdle to HG according to your scale.