I overestimated or tested too early, one or the other. I thought my kid would be dys so I got testing. It came back "above average to highly intelligent" (mg/hg?) with only one high spike on a reading achievement subtest. DAS-11 & WIAT. His low math achievement shocked me. Are more than 10% of almost six year olds really able to do word problems, knows about fractions, +-/x? Last year I broke a donut in half and gave him half and ate half of my daughters side before I gave it to her. He said, "I get 1/2, you get 1/4, she gets 1/4." I thought most little kids would call that thirds, since we all got one piece. He learned about fractions from that book "Apple Fractions", and I learned how to bake an apple pie to make it more fun.

Oh well, the one thing I've completely taught him yet was phonics and that spiked at 99.8% achievement. So either his IQ hasn't bloomed yet, or I'm just that good of a teacher. smile
fwiw, he has a couple generations of family members who tested on the eg/pg border. I am aware of regression to the mean and the pitfall of unrealistic expectations. I'm not sure if this is that, or immaturity/late bloomer. I also believe in Carol Dwecks incremental theory of intelligence, maybe he just needs time to mature. I highly value his education, either way.

This is my first post here about this and it happened a few months ago.
Since I've been the one teaching him it didn't really change how I'm going to keep teaching him, but the results just mean he doesn't qualify for any kind of DYS or MENSA consultant.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar