You're unlikely to get a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, as it's been removed from the list of official diagnoses. In Kindergarten we were told that my daughter was not eligible for an IEP because she was several grade levels ahead in all subjects. But the next year, there was a new special ed teacher at the school who swore that my daughter was just like her now grown-up son who has Asperger's. So, she advocated for DD to have tons of assessments through the IEP process, and then she was shocked when the final report came back: "Although the diagnosis of autistic disorder was considered as another possible special education designation, behavioral observations and collateral data were not consistent to this diagnosis." My DD qualified under the "other health impaired" because in March of her kindergarten year we got a diagnosis of ADHD privately. The same doctor had seen her 9 months previously and at that time she did not give any diagnosis. An ADHD diagnosis is not hard to get (based on impulse control and difficulty shifting to non-preferred activities), and may help qualify you for services. I don't think it would be appropriate for her to be full time in a special ed class, but there are other services -- like sensory breaks, social skills group, OT, resource room pull out, behavioral support team, etc that might help.

I don't deny that it's not 2E... only that the current classification scheme of psychological/neurological disorders is inadequate to explain some kids like these... I find that asynchronous development is a better framework for my own understanding of her challenges...and also I live everyday believing that my daughter is outgrowing these problems and does not have a lifelong neurological impairment.

I strongly agree with DeeDee on three points:
1. I'd rather have my daughter remain in school to be part of the community, to learn how to adapt, to build quality friendships...
2. Special ed support has been invaluable... the special ed teacher and resource room have been wonderful, and we were able to come up with a behavioral plan and metacognitive strategies that worked for her.
3."Appropriate academic placement" is essential. My daughter gets lessons with the older kids and independent work that's several grade levels ahead. It's not as good as what we would do at home, but it's worth it for the other benefits of keeping her in school. I strongly believe that without appropriate academics, all the IEP and behavioral support in the world would not have made the situation bearable for anyone.

I think it would be great to get an IEP if possible, but the success depends on having the good teachers and support team that really care about the child. We were very lucky in this regard this past school year.