Originally Posted by metis
We don't have a 504, because we are at a private school. I was thinking of waiting until he was 6, to see if there has been any improvement, before settling on the diagnosis and getting the 504.

Our ds is at a private school now too, so we're flying without IEP/504 at the moment, and it's working well - the key, whatever the type of school, isn't the document so much as having a staff that is willing to allow your child to have what they need to be successful, and it sounds like you have that at your school - so really, from my perspective, as long as things are going ok at school and you aren't having to fight for things you feel your ds needs, the 504 can wait.

The grade-skip has helped in some ways because it keeps my son motivated to work harder to keep up.

It's probably also keeping him engaged intellectually - we chose not to skip, and while I think it was the right choice for our ds, he did go through years of being bored in elementary school, and he didn't really start to fly and enjoy school until he was accelerated in middle school.

What is scribing?

Scribing is when a person (teacher, aide, parent at home during homework) writes down the answers for a child rather than the child having to use handwriting to write. I did this with ds' teachers ok for several years in elementary on homework, and I still do it sometimes even now in middle school when he's doing the initial composition when writing essays and reports. He switched over to typing at school starting in 3rd grade, and everything he turns in now is expected to be typed, but even typing is a fine motor activity, and my ds is not a fast typist (he types faster than he writes, but it's still slower than most kids his age type).

Another accommodation ds had in elementary school was oral response to fluency tests (timed tests). The only "fluency" tests ds had were math facts tests - but we were locked in a battle with his school for the longest time trying to get them to see that he *knew* his math facts, he just was never going to be able to write them quickly.

polarbear