Technically, the WPPSI-III doesn't have an "official" GAI, but a similar pro-rated score can be calculated and that's the score that gifted schools in my area request.
I can understand the Davidson position on this. Testing a young child on a test that has a very low ceiling isn't an accurate way to identify a profoundly gifted child, so naturally there is a preference for very high scores to offset that uncertainty.

My interest in Davidson's is twofold.
1. It's one of the few organizations where we can connect with families with similar children, and even children that are so advanced, they make my child seem normal (which actually, is a really nice feeling!) My hope is that it might be a place where my son can find other children like him, because even with other gifted children, he is different and that can be lonely. He deserves to know what it is like to have a true peer. I have heard that PG retreat is a better place for this though.

2. It would be nice to have help with the advocating. We have found a school that works for the next year (with a continued grade-skip and academic work roughly 3 grades more), and it's just enough to make school bearable. Sadly, the school ends after first grade, and other schools we have toured, both pubic and private, have balked at continuing the grade-skip and/or providing curriculum at a much higher level and faster pace. I can see it's going to be a battle and It's likely the 4 year gap will grow if my son's interest in academics continues, and/or we homeschool at some point in the future. The speed he can learn is astounding. It's a real problem.

So, although I am proficient at advocacy, having an organization's expertise behind me can only help. I will likely need this support before he is 6yo, and can take better tests, and the school system still kind of works. My son wants to be homeschooled, but my fear is that if I start actively teaching him, he will quickly grow too many grades ahead for a brick & mortar to ever work.

I am trying to keep as many options open for him as I can. smile