Originally Posted by ColinsMum
You've had some great advice, but I have the feeling that much of it is from people whose children have bigger challenges than yours. I want to ask: what's stopping you assuming it's just asynchronous development? You say at the start that his writing is ahead, although not as ahead as his other skills; so, while it's good to make sure he doesn't get held back unnecessarily, in what sense does he have a fine motor disability? I'm not understanding.

Cricket, metis mentioned other areas that were showing as fine motor delays (difficulty with buttons/zippers etc), and I think metis mentioned a low score on the Beery VMI - this is a visual motor integration test used by neuropsychologist that is impacted by fine motor challenges. It is possible to have DCD (fine motor disability) and still score ahead of average on the tests metis has mentioned and still be ahead of the game relateive to typically developing kids in academic areas that are impacted - but the challenge is in the discrepancy in skills - same challenge is their with asynchronicity, but with asynchronicity a child catches up over time, and with DCD a child needs a lot of extra help and repetition to develop the same sets of fine motor skills.

metis, I apologize - somehow in all the replies, I forgot that your ds is only 4 - I was thinking he was 6 already when I wrote my last reply. It sounds like really you are in a good place at school right now - it's great that they recognize his intellectual strengths! Typically it's the opposite (or recognizing *nothing at all*) that happens with 2e students and school staff.

Which grade is your ds in - K or 1st? Does he have a 504 or any accommodations for writing? Scribing is a very typical accommodation in early elementary.

Gotta run,

polarbear