ColinsMum,

My son plays piano. It's likely that has helped as well.

I'm curious...was your son 2 standard deviations below what was age-appropriate on all tasks requiring fine motor skills? Or was it just writing? And was it always near age-appropriate? That's the difference between a child with a relative weakness and a disability.

If I had ignored the problem, my son would no doubt qualify in full for an IEP and be significantly behind. Early intervention works. My son has had almost 3 years of the best therapy for this condition, and it's made a difference. He was caught by the state and is officially considered disabled.

That said, one still hopes it's asynchronous development, but 3 years of intensive therapy in a child without a disability would have made a greater difference, right? My son is heavily scaffolded to reach that 61%. Do you have to do the same for your son? Did it require any scaffolding to keep him age-appropriate?

This is what makes it impossible for me to assume it is just asynchronous development, although I still hope. I could stop therapy to experiment, but at what cost?