Ahh-- someone else beat me to it. I was thinking about this as I was drinking my coffee this morning, and was going to suggest that the OP insist that her DD make a regular commitment to community service of some kind. Preferably INDIRECT community service, where she doesn't really "see" the results of that service in real time.

The reason why I think that might be very helpful is that she will get NOTHING out of that which is measured by: a) performance, or b) gratitude from those she is helping. In other words, she will be (emotionally) on her own in feeling good about what she is doing without having EXTERNAL cues for doing so.

Some ideas that might suit gifted teens who do not yet drive:

a) library volunteer work
b) working for a local food bank
c) working for (as noted above) a local humane society or animal shelter
d) local Habitat for Humanity
e) volunteering to be a general office assistant for a local elementary school

The bonus of completely altruistic service like this is that it helps kids get out of their own heads so much, of course-- but it also lets them meet OTHER people who are just genuinely interested in making the world a better place. In a group of typical adolescents, that kind of thinking can really make a person feel freakish-- but the helping professions are filled with people like that.

You might see if there is a local youth volunteer corps in your area-- these programs are run by Americorps participants, who are often idealistic young college graduates. It's a way to get a wide variety of volunteer experiences and build a network of like-minded other youth near you.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.