Originally Posted by marytheres
However, he has most of the other signs:

1. great difficulty with left from right
2. can't tie shoes
3. had great difficulting memorizing address, phone number, days of week and months (he still can't do phone numbers. Still. He just recently seems to have mastered his address but he does seem to get the order of the numbers wrong). He does now know all of the months and days of the week but I definitely think he was 'slow' on those.
4. He has all of the dysgraphia writing symptoms. All of them. Every one. But he also has hypotonia so that's often to what we attribute the writing problems; hwoever, he does things like starts writing letter from the bottom up that probably do not have to do with hypotonia. And the reversals - reverses pretty much constantly.
5.Reading symptoms: skips small words (like the prepositions, etc), ignores suffixes (I have noticed he has great trouble with suffixes and will often ignore them - had no idea this was common with dyslexia), guesses at words, reads "was" as "saw" and "on" as "no." Last night he read the word "spot" as "stop" and then went back and corrected himself when he realzed "stop" must be wrong b/c it didn't make sense in the sentence. He also read "also" as "laso," reads slowly, reads through punctuation (but this has been improving). regarding spelling, I have no idea how bad Ben's is ... on the WAIS he cored very hiigh on reading and math but the spelling portion was "average." However, the dyslexia screenign tester noted that on their test DS had great difficulty on the encoding section - buit it didn;t say his score or even whether he did poorly or not.... He also excels at math - he does very well at math and dyslexics apparently often have trouble with math.

I hit a lot of those points and my son at the moment a bit more.
1. Left Right - Check
2. Can't tie shoes - Check (actually, I finally figured it out at age 40 when I found a web site that explained the principle behind the opposing strings with a diagram of it)
3. Memorizing - Check
4. Dysgraphia - Check
5. Skip small words - Check for DS (much reduced if he uses his finger or a bookmark, but he still comprehends), but not for me (I've always had to sub-vocalize and still do when I read, but I read a lot and fast)

Doesn't mean it isn't dyslexia, but it seems tending towards the abstract/whole picture realm combined with visual tracking issues either is a type of dyslexia or smells a lot alike. I also think there is something to do with mirror neurons as no one can show me how to do anything. But I can read any manual or see diagrams of devices and am good to go.

I'll be curious where this winds up for you as we aren't using any extra therapy, but the word skipping is having minor ripples due to some of the ways testing in school focuses on out loud exact reading.