Originally Posted by polarbear
This would be my one concern in keeping my child in the program - the impact of having to compensate. Children with challenges are constantly having to cope with compensating in some way or another depending on the challenge. The impact seems (from what I've seen) to be the largest in early elementary.

Yes... this is a concern I have as well. Grade 3 will be a make or break year, I think.

At the beginning of grade two, it looked pretty bleak. However somewhere along the way the combination of aging, development and support started to make a difference. In June DS's grade 2 teacher showed me a three paragraph piece that DS had written, in French, about our trip to Disneyland. To say I was floored is a huge understatement. His French was very basic (below grade level), and there were a lot of spelling mistakes, but he did much of the work independently. His teacher was very impressed and encouraged.

Yay!!!

However... grade three gets much harder. The question is, will DS continue to grow and keep pace or will he become linguistically overwhelmed? We'll see, I guess.