Originally Posted by mgl
ASD is often misunderstood, even in people who work in the field, so I always recommend to people that they keep an open mind to potential ASD therapies and solutions, even if they don't believe that's the right dx for their child. They can help a broad range of kids.

Yes... I fully agree smile smile I think a label guides you towards a set of therapies and solutions but in no way should restrict you.

It's just so interesting. Our district psychologist is so convinced DS is ASD that he recommended, if we believe the ADHD dx, that we medicate him diagnostically for six months and we'll see that the meds don't work, and that we have an incorrect diagnosis and it should be ASD. The problem that I have with this is that this doc hasn't spent any time with DS - he's basing his opinion on a screening report done by an intern who observed DS for a couple of hours in class. Meanwhile our psychologist who said he's not ASD spent over six hours with him, albeit in a totally different setting.

It's just so hard. No one can seem to agree. He was PLAGUED by sensory issues when he was younger and he seems to have outgrown most of them. In defense of the school psychologist, he really did seem much more spectrum-like when he was younger, but he's outgrown most of it.

He used to love to spin... helicopter spins... ohhhhh my. He'd crash right into people. (eeeesh!!!) sigh. Again, another behaviour that has disappeared with age, so I'm thinking it was sensory/vestibular seeking, I guess, and it was just developmental.

On another note, Have you read "Bright, not Broken?" Kennedy/Banks w/forward by Temple Grandin ? It's an interesting read. They discuss the similarities between ADHD and ASD, and the different ways that the disorders are viewed and treated. I haven't read the whole thing yet but am enjoying it so far.

Last edited by CCN; 09/08/12 06:06 PM.