My ds8 occasionally gets misdiagnosed as ADD (w/o hyperactivity) because he is so internally focused he can't pay attention to things very long. Some days it would be nice if he were ADD, because then medication could help him focus better.

I think often times people who have sensory issues (that make them sensation seeking) + internal focus (that makes them distracted) get misdiagnosed as ADHD. Not an expert opinion, however.

The other thing is that I think very bright children can often cheat on those tests. My ds7 tested average on verbal language when he was 4 and just learning to speak because he would use his superior pattern recognition skills to anticipate the answer to the next question. DH and I let it go though, we were so excited that he'd tested average (after a year and a half of tears and frustration trying to get him to speak at all), that we left the center doing little singsongy dances. (Long rambling point being, maybe he did find a way to sort of "cheat" the CAPD test?)

Last edited by mgl; 09/08/12 03:41 PM.