Originally Posted by DeeDee
It's possible that he was too lovey/huggy and that didn't meet someone's stereotype of what autism is supposed to look like, or because he was smart they just didn't consider it.

Honestly, I think that's what had me confused. I was certain he had sensory integration disorder though. Not so much anymore.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
It sounds like he's dramatically easier now, which I would expect with maturation and good parenting-- but those challenges still sound frustrating. The intolerance for repetition, the sense that he goes on with something after everyone around him is sick of it-- those can be the inflexibility and perseveration that come with autism. But they might not be-- I do not know your kid. I'm just suggesting that what you described sounds very familiar to me... and might be worth another look from that point of view.

I think it's like an ongoing puzzle... with clues that keep changing. I don't think we'll settle on a definitive diagnosis for awhile. In his file at school the ADHD and E/R language disorders are listed as "provisional."