Originally Posted by mgl
I find it a little odd that your psychologist said she didn't know why anyone would suggest that about him. That seems strange given the behaviors you described. Maybe he's not on the autistic spectrum, but making that suggestion when he has those behaviors is not an outlandish idea.

I think one of the difficulties with ASD diagnoses is the stigma attached to the word "autism." Especially with an obviously gifted child -- it's like we don't want to saddle the gifted child with the autism label unless he's stimming and rocking in the corner and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.

Even among professionals who should know better, there's a fear of labeling that seems to keep kids from getting diagnosed.

It is interesting, isn't it?

There's a cynical part of me that thinks the school wanted the ASD label for funding, because there is none for ADHD, and the psychologist gave the ADHD label because there's less stigma attached and therefor it's easier for parents to swallow. is it bad that I think that?

Or maybe I am being too cynical. Like my family doctor says, with issues like these that aren't diagnosable medically, it always comes down to opinion - it doesn't necessarily have to be political.

At the end of the day I don't care what the diagnosis is, as long as he gets the help he needs...

Last edited by CCN; 09/08/12 06:56 PM.