He's had a full psycho-ed assessment, done independently, with an licensed psychologist. She spent about 6 1/2 hours with him, and wrote a 16(17? forget, have to check) page report. His official diagnoses are the ADHD and the language processing disorder (expressive and receptive).

She admitted he was hard to assess, and told us she could get only :45 per 2 hour session of compliance from him, because he was restless and inattentive. She advised us to medicate his ADHD and retest in two years.

(It's kind of a long, long story but no one has been able to figure him out).

Our pediatrician was very impressed with the psychologist's report, saying she "was very thorough" ...but then saying she didn't think medication would help because she's certain he doesn't have ADHD (she said she'd give us a prescription if we wanted but she doesn't know where to start). This is a very experienced pediatrician who sees lots of ADHD kids, and insists that our DS is not one of them.

Meanwhile she didn't really question the language processing disorder, and neither to I.

DS is very odd. Certain things he learns at the speed of light (math, English reading, to name a couple). English reading?? Yup, it's really strong... but in other areas (like the gender specific pronouns and the order of the days and months) he's totally stuck. It's like there are holes in his brain! I try repetition with him but that's a disaster and extremely stressful (none of us, DS8, DD9 & myself) can handle repetition.

Sometimes I think we need to see another psychologist (the one we used was well versed in giftedness, but not 2e), but then I think no, the language processing makes sense and he's just clever enough to compensate part of the time. The question is, how do I help him fill these "holes" that he has?

Oh... pffft. He just walked past me with his shorts on backwards. I said "your shorts are on backwards" and he looked at his shirt. sigh. And on it goes.

(Oh, and he's had FIVE normal hearing tests... 2 done at the local health unit, one done by an ENT surgeon's audiologist, and 2 done at our local hospital by audiologists). His ears are fine... he just has parts of his brain that are stuck, and other parts that scramble language.

Last edited by CCN; 09/08/12 02:27 PM.