Originally Posted by Cricket2
For the most part, I'd say that the boys who seem to be noticing dd are significantly older than she. She is, at this point, fine with the idea that she can't date a 16 y/o, for instance (she's 13), but I wonder how this works longer run. Being HG+, she doesn't seem to find peers easily (male or female) and thus tends to be drawn more to older people for friends. I worry that will be the same in the boyfriend department especially since the boys who notice her also seem to be quite a bit older.

Dh and I have quite an age difference ourselves, but I was 25 when we started dating. I see even a few years of age difference to be more problematic in teens. Thoughts on how HG girls who are often in classes and extracurriculars with older boys find boyfriends who are both intellectually and emotionally appealing and not way older?

We've solved the problem for the time being by telling both our son and daughter that pairing off for dates is off-limits at this age. They hang out with groups of friends, and have some individual friends of both sexes, but dating isn't permitted at this point. They've been brought up with the expectation that they're not allowed to date until they're sixteen, so neither has pushed the issue. Given that my dd still thinks boys are mostly icky, she's not really interested anyway; my son figures it's too expensive and will get in the way of school and his music. Did I mention that we're big ol' geeks anyway? wink

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."