Originally Posted by Bostonian
I don't think there should be a supervision "cliff" at the time students enter college.

Maybe, but you've ducked/segued away from your original point claiming that many gifted post-pubescent teenagers are basically grownups, which I disagreed with.

I'm not sure I follow your messages; the first one in this thread claimed that post-pubescent children (as young as 15 in girls and 16 in boys) are grownups and a question to ask is, "How much should their parents try to regulate their personal lives?"

I disagreed with that idea.

Then you said that there shouldn't be a supervision cliff when students enter college. To me, this implies that you think that these students need more supervision...yet you argued that many post-adolescents (especially if they're smart) are grownups and wondered if or how much their parents should be regulating their personal lives, implying...less supervision.

confused

You often say that college attracts people with higher IQs. Here, you also said that having a high IQ can lead to a mental age of an adult at an earlier age. So, by that reasoning, many college students would meet your definition of being grownups by the time they were, say 17 or 18, (allowing for extra time for non-HG+ but smart students).

So there seems to be a contradiction in your messages that I don't follow.

For full clarity, I said that by 18 most people are ready to start feeling their way. If someone is footing the bill, college is, in many ways, a relatively gentle step into adulthood.* Someone is paying your way, there are real grownups around who have a certain amount of authority over you, and if you live in a dorm and have a meal plan, you avoid a lot of the messy details of adult life while you have a measure of independence, figure out how to get stuff done without an adult hovering over you, and figure out how to live and work with people who are very different from you.

*Compare to people who are expected to get a job and move out soon after they graduate from high school.