Originally Posted by serenitynow
Does anyone have experience with both the KBIT and WISC IV? I am trying to determine the reliability of the KBIT-2 (Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test). My 9yo son was assessed with a 134 composite on KBIT; The psychologist said the WISC is usually within around 4 points of the KBIT. Can anyone who has done both share their scores?, example:
KBIT = 134
WISC=130

I am trying to determine whether a full scale is necessary but the school may require it for G&T program.
Thanks!!

First question is where do you live... a big city or rural area. I only ask that because I've scrutinized the KBIT and a good many of the questions on it are slanted to a child from an urban background.

Depending on the age and just how far he progressed on the riddles or verbal section he could have been hit with some riddles and words that were really what I would call targeted to certain people at the expense of others.

Does he know what an elevator is, what graffiti is, who Rosa Parks was... If he does then I wouldn't expect him to have been adversely scored... but if he isn't familiar with those then you can pretty much guarantee he missed 3 questions just because he wasn't raised in New York City.

Frankly I believe those types OF questions are put on the test for reasons beyond making the test accurate. The WISC-IV wouldn't have these types of problems.