Originally Posted by serenitynow
So...here's the latest. I received an envelope from school today and was hoping it would be the RIAS scores, but it wasn't. It was an invitation to participate in the Duke TIP (Explore Test). I have heard of this test, but I thought it was given at the 8th grade level. My DS9 is in 4th grade. Does anyone have any experience with this test? Is it worth paying the $35 and however many hours of testing? After reading the pamphlet it kind of sounds to me like an undercover way for Duke to identify bright kids at a young age and track them so that they can recruit for college? Or is that just me? I did see one advantage: writing competitions. My DS9 has written a couple of short stories and this might be an advantage but other than that I'm confused as to what the benefits are (other than "recognition"). Can anyone speak to their own experiences with this particular test? I might start a new thread on this one. Thanks in advance!

You can use the search function to find previous info. on Explore. I absolutely thought it was well worth it for dd to take the Explore last year as a 4th grader--it made it clear that I had been underestimating her ability and was valuable information for me as a parent and for the school to have. I would hope it would be useful going forward as she transitions to public middle school in advocating for appropriate challenge--that remains to be seen--but I am glad she took it last year and she is scheduled to take it again in February. It won't be as useful this time in the English section, but I am interested in seeing her progress in the other areas of the test.