Originally Posted by DeHe
Originally Posted by Michaela
Uhhhhh... So I just looked at the clock, 'cause I was getting a bit blearly eyed.... I just spent 1.5 hrs watching trains on you-tube with my 2 yr old. We've been doing this every day lately, but usually not nearly so much of it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a terrible mother... He's asking for subways in specific cities, and coal-trains, and streetcars... <hand hits head>

(sympathy please)

-Mich

Of course you aren't a terrible mother - i think informational videos are awesome. Much better than cartoons and there is nothing wrong with learning visaully. We have watched factory productions on Youtube, all sorts of building things. And at 5 DS has advanced to hour long national geographic space programs. Its fine!!! Mindless tv I think in very small doses but stuff with actual information is good - I let DS at 2 do as much starfall as he wanted, but not much of anything else.

I agree with DeHe. Our son has an extensive library of DVD's that all are worth watching. In the past, he has asked to see a show(Yo Gabba Gabba comes to mind). Since I didn't know what it was about, I let him. Later on, I told him it was "useless". Unfortunately, so much of what's on Nick Jr., etc. is.

We like our public broadcasting children's shows much better for "brainless" tv.

He often enjoys watching the History Channel with me, or old episodes of "How's That Made?". Sometimes he will enjoy the show on Food Network, "Unwrapped". I think it's the machines that interest him.

Mich, my son enjoys watching a show that comes on the RFDTV channel called "Trains and Locomotives" One whole hour of one after another.