Originally Posted by mich
We call my dh the "human clock", because he has such a good sense of time. Unfortunatly, he is also late all the time. His problem is that he always "forgets" the things he needs (brief case, phone, computer) and tries to do "one more thing", (check his e-mail, print something out, empty the dehumidifier.....whatever comes to mind). Also executive functioning issues.

They drive me crazy!! Any suggestions on how a mom with relatively good EF can deal with her smart but scattered family?

Gee, that's one problem I do NOT have because I am as disorganized as my son.

But if your husband is amenable to improving, I'd say just ask him to focus on one thing each month (do something 30 times and it becomes a habit they say). If you and he notice he is perpetually running late because he has misplaced his stuff for work, that's a good place to start.

Identify where he puts these things when he comes home from work, and why he puts them there. Then try to locate a place by the front door (or door he leaves for work out of) and label it (temporarily if need be) his "launching pad". When he comes home from work, he puts everything right there in the "Launching Pad". (It might need to be near an electrical outlet for recharging purposes -- rearrange things if need be). If he needs his laptop to work at night, get it from the Launching Pad but return it there when done. In the morning, as he leaves for work, EVERYTHING he needs for work should be right there in the "pad". Your job as an organized person should be to help him at first set this up, then help him develop the habit to look into the Launching Pad at night to be sure he put everything there. Ideally he will ingrain those habits himself in a few months.

THIS habit is one I finally managed for myself -- and somewhat for my kids. SO I know it can work!