HoneyBadger - my DD is 9 and the only person who ever mentioned she might have ADHD is the psych who dud her IQ test, who then said "but she doesn't have it because later in the test she could focus quite well." which i now believe is completely wrong. The whole point is that she can't choose to pay attention.

My DD is not hyperactive (sometimes at home) and is quite well behaved (again less well at home) but she's often off with the pixies when she looks like she's attending. But when you look at the whole picture I am quite certain she has inattentive ADHD.

To be honest I think that we have done a pretty reasonable job of parenting and partly through luck and partly through choice she has a had the best possible run health wise. ADHD, ASD and other conditions are clearly tied to gut issues and my DD has always had a great diet and has never had antibiotics ever, or any other drugs, including during pregnancy and birth. Due to DH and my chemical intolerances she lives in a very chemical free house, no cleaning chemicals, no perfumes, no carpets, etc. DH and I often wonder just how much more obvious her issues may have been if she'd had any environmental triggers or gut disturbances.

Nik - I would not say these issues are part of giftedness, but that they occur more often in the gifted. The developmental paed I mentioned earlier described gifted and inattentive ADHD as co-morbid, occurring together to often for chance.

And I do think that there is a lot of overlap between a number of those conditions you list, but not all of them. And again many of them are co-morbid. But in particular it seems to me that EF dysfunction is being used to describe inattentive ADHD, which I think is really misunderstood and has a bad rep.

Please excuse my typos, I am on my phone....