This is a great thread, thank you for sharing so many great tips!

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
HoneyBadger - the last link you provided is pretty much exactly how a developmental paed I recently heard speak described inattentive ADHD (he was speaking particular in gifted kids so maybe it's different in other kids, I don't know he didn't say).

Listening to him speak I realised that both my eldest and my husband have inattentive ADHD and that my middle girl possibly does too, though milder and without the co-morbidities.

This may be simplistic but the more research I do, the more I come to the conclusion that the professionals are just using different labels for describing essentially small variations of the same thing: ADD/ADHD/ASD/EFD/OCD/ODD/SPD/LD etc etc. Over the past 8 months since I started frequenting this site, I have read so many parent descriptions of their child's issues and thought "yep, that's my DD" but then the wide variety of diagnosis-es (SP?) received for practically identical issues leads me to wonder if we are all just talking about varying degrees of the same phenomenon.

Another non scientific random thought on all of this: maybe all of these issues are sort of part and parcel with being very gifted, sort of like how blind people develop heightened senses of hearing or smell. Maybe some kids developed heightened IQs at the expense of other functions but these strengths and weaknesses sort of balance each other out.

My DD could never keep track of phones, planners, homework, lunch money, etc but for some magical reason, we are going on year 3 or 4 with the same IPod Touch! I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that we never explored actually using it for something functional like a tracker or minder, it has been purely a source of entertainment for my DD and therefore it is a highly treasured item worthy of the extra effort required to keep up with it.

Now my DD is getting ready to go off to college, she knows she needs all kinds of help with planning, remembering deadlines and schedules etc, she has taken the initiative to figure out how this treasured toy/companion can also be her personal assistant. I am hopeful this will actually work since she is already used to keeping track of the thing.