Originally Posted by Min
I'm reading through the thread now, as best I can. Hopefully I can gain something before I am next interrupted. So, thanks. Much appreciated. I wish I had something constructive to offer. On our end, I'm just glad things are coming to a head after grade 3, and not later. I tried to address things pro-actively at school, but that was a miserable failure. The bright side is that now the school recognizes there is a big problem. We are on a waitlist for testing, and the school has approved counselling for one of them (prompted by him running away from school).

You are very welcome! I am spending a lot of my free time this summer (I've got the kids at home and am watching some other kids a lot, many activities going on) researching, thinking, and it is great to have a place to post what I'm learning and thinking about, and get feedback on it!

Yes, I feel the same way -- things really fell apart this year in third grad for my son. And part of me wishes that the homework and classwork just hadn't been so demanding on my son and that way, he woudln't have had as many difficulties. Yet part of me is happy that he did -- it allowed us to see early on that executive function was a real issue rather than waiting to find this out when he hit middle school.

We are very luck though that the school he attends ( a public school magnet type program for GT kids) is pretty aware of the need to help kids develop EF skills. I'm not sure how well they can actually help kids like my son but at least they are aware that some kids just aren't as organized as others and from what I have heard of his teacher next year, she is flexible and will work with us to put some things in place for him next year.