Hey everyone!

I have been doing a lot of research and reading since I last posted, and figured I might as well update you on what I have learned and found in case someone else might be interested.

Somewhere -- not sure this site or elsewhere -- someone recommended this book: Homework Made Simple by Add Dolin. I got it from the library, read it through, and even read parts of it aloud to my son. It was extremely useful.

the author has a website here: http://anndolin.com and also her tutoring company has a website -- the part I found particularly useful there was her list of products worth considering:

http://ectutoring.com/resources/products

Based on what I've been reading, I'd decided to work with my son to set up the following plan for next year; we'll start parts of it over the summer to havet he skills in place by September.

1) Create a daily schedule with 30 minute increments set off and really stick to it.

2) Include DHT (Dedicated Homework Time) each day 45 minutes including one weekend day of his choice. Son will receive rewards of screen time for starting DHT on time (one reminder), staying at the table for the full 45 minutes, and staying on task the whole time. If he doesn't have any homework, he can do a list of academic work (declutter binder; work on upcoming projects, study vocabulary words, study math facts, etc. Reading a book won't be an approved choice, because he tends to rush through his work in order to get to the latest novel he is involved with.)

3) For homework that just says "read the text book" pr "review the material" we will come up with specific tasks, because these tend to be areas my son just blows off because he thinks he knows the material (usually he does ... but he makes careless errors.) One idea is to have highlighter tape, and highlight the main ideas and supporting details of the science or ss test on the first read. Then later in the week, have the child remove the highlighter tape while reading just the main ideas and details again. Another idea is to make vocabulary cards, and read them over. If he is just sitting there for 45 minutes of mandatory DHT, I hope it will create a space where he will figure why not do this?

4) Son will receive screen time for properly filling out his school planner, bringing home all materials needed for HW, and for bringing home HW papers in the proper file folder (not crumpled at the bottom of his bookbag. Also screen time for properly filling HW away in the binder after DHT is done, and emptying backpack of garbage and lunch box each night. Lots oif little rewards -- whcih I am going to have to stay on top of, at least at first.

5) We will work out a schedule for after school that coordinates with his best friend, who is also having similar problems. The other mom and I are working together to see if we can find a schedule where the boys work with me for DHT each day while she care for my younger child and her younger child, at least to start.

5) Every Sunday evening, my son will do a "Clean Sweep" of his backpack and binder with a parent, or possibly with a nice neighborhood teen instead. Everything in the backpack gets removed, planner gets updated and reviewed for long term projects, etc. reward of screet time for completing "clean Sweep" with good effort. Also he will use this time to fill out his reading log which must be turned in monthly. Finally, he will pack a plastic bag in his backpack on Sunday evening with a request for him to go to school Monday and at some point during tha day, do a clean sweep of his desk-- just put EVERYTHING in the desk that isn't a book or desk supplies into the garbage bag and bring it home so we can go through the papers together and archive or toss (or send back to school to be turned in.) I'm not sure this part will work -- it is my own idea not Dolin's -- but I just can't go into school and help him clean his desk weekly and I don't think he'll remember to do it on his own yet. But the idea is for me gradually to withdraw the support and reminders and rewards, but have him still do these things on his own.

6) I'm intrigued by the use of a buzzing watch that you can set to go off with little text reminders (Write down HW!!) at certain times. We'll see if the above helps things and if not, I might invest in one of those.

This summer he has agreed to work on spelling and math skills (his areas of weekness) during DHT sessions we are setting up every morning (to earn his screen time). His friend might be coming by to do the same thing, so we'll see if this is a workable idea .... or not.

Anyhow, just thought I would share!