I can honestly say that I watch my son's behavior and make sure that they are not introducing undo stress; however, I grew up with a father who was as severe as my son, and I saw what happened with no intervention whatsoever. I would not wish that on my child. He loves his sensory labs, twice a day. He gets his snack breaks. We are trying to help him express his emotions when having a meltdown (as I told the school, my goal is not to get him to sit quietly, it is to get him to express his frustrations appropriately), like having him walk to a quiet space and having him turn emotion cards so he doesn't have to try to vocalize it. He is not required to go to morning meeting, because it is too much for him, but if a new class starts mid-year and disrupts his schedule, we do work to help him join the class slowly.

I understand that your experience was hard, but like I said, I do not see resentment or anger in my child for any of these things. As you can see, we do let him avoid extreme situations, and give him breaks and such.:)

Edit:
Hrm, seems like the reply I was replying to is gone, but I'll leave this up, since I think it's good information on the accomodations he receives.

Last edited by Artana; 08/27/10 06:01 AM.