Originally Posted by 10applesupontop
-What did your kids act like when they were almost 2/2?

Mine was referred for formal speech testing, having "flunked" the quick screeners both at 18mo (for insufficient words) and 24mo (no 2-word phrases). Nothing else particularly interesting, at least not in my recollection. There were one or two weird things that made me wonder where they came from, but no clear indication of anything other than "normal bright kid."

-Do I need to get her evaluated. I can't see any reason to, but I am worried she might miss out on things without the proper ID.

In the absence of something specific she might miss out on, I vote no. We contemplated sending DD to the preschool program for the local gifted school, which would have required an IQ test (at around 34mos), but it was not a good personality fit for her, so we didn't test.

-Is IQ hereditary?

More or less. I've seen some research saying that hereditary influences have more effect, and environmental influences have less, as we age. So a kid in a highly-enriched environment might have a higher IQ as a kid than you'd expect from heredity, but would lose that advantage as he moved through adulthood. Alternatively, a kid in a very deprived environment might score lower as a kid than as an adult.

Does that ever even out?

As a 16yo, she's unlikely to be as obviously as ahead of her peers as she is now. So in that sense, it does even out. She's unlikely to ever have below-average language skills, barring some illness / accident.

Do I need to get her signed up?

If both of you want her to be. Mine was desperate to go to preschool, so went at 3.

-Should I be teaching her how to read?

Based on my sample size of one, I, at least, have no ability to teach anyone to read. My kid read when she was ready to read, and no amount of teaching got her to read before then. Your kid may vary - mine is exceptionally stubborn (both about not doing things she's not ready to do, and in learning things she feels the need to know).