Ds9 did online CTY math for 3 months in his previous school. I was lucky to get the Principal's support for 3 months. When we left, I heard that the school has to do away with their special support group because of lack of support and funds.

He did it (AL1) during Math class on a laptop in the classroom. I would say it is a good experience for him but unfortunately, it wasn't very well structured in the sense that, he would have friend hovering over him, trying to find out what he was doing sometimes. He told me he couldn't concentrate. He was not spending enough time on it too. Just maybe 15mins daily or none at all when the teacher has some "specials". Part of him wanted to join the class sometimes, esp. when they were having math games- (although easy but still fun for him). I think unless they do it in a separate room, there will be distractions. The teacher's support is also crucial in ensuring it's success.

The downside of doing an online course is obviously the lack of interactions with like-minded peers. I find discussions and brain storming lacking, which should benefit any child greatly.

Now that the new school doesn't support this program, I have continued to let him do it at home after school. I make sure he spends time doing one chapter daily. (I told him we need to get the money's worth!!!) I don;t think we have explored all avenues of CTY's online learning. There is supposed to be online discussions and white board but we have yet to use them due to timing differences (we are in Asia). So far, we just communicate with the instructor via email.