why does this all sound so familiar??? I love this conversation.

We were never given an ADHD or ADD diagnosis with DSjust9 (today!) but his behaviour as you described was eerily familiar. He hasn't been formally tested, but his MAP scores are generally in the same range as your son's.

If anything, we had a lack of interaction with school professionals - no contact from them, just punitive action during school time.

What helped in our particular situation was actually pulling him out of public school. He had been so bored and frustrated during the 6+ hours of the school day that the only way he survived was by physically moving his body and his mouth.

Now, he can "manage" himself much better and has a "smoother" feel to his energy, if you know what I mean. It's like he cn breathe again.

None of this story is meant to discount the very real experiences that people have with distractability, but as other posters have mentioned, ADHD can be a fall back diagnosis when a child's true giftedness isn't recognized/supported.

Good luck to you! Our family is with you, too.

oh, yes - Calm Child magnesium supplement and fish oil (we do the Nordic Naturals as they aren't very fishy)are very helpful in evening out the bouncy times.

(edited to add: today is his birthday and he is so excited that nothing we do or say will prevent him from floating free of his moorings so to speak. That excitabilty does go with the territory, I suppose)

Last edited by Barbara; 10/25/08 09:07 AM. Reason: additional thoughts