Originally Posted by ebeth
This whole concept is rather surprising, since it obviously favors the extroverts over the introverts. Does an extroverted child with minimal understanding earn more points, and thus a higher grade, than in introverted child who has mastered the subject?? I understand that teachers need some method to gauge what a child knows, and raising his/her hand and speaking is one method out of many.

I'm with 'Neato on this one - if the teacher is willing to hold up higher standards for your child, and recognise their intelligence, I wouldn't run to intervene, unless your 'Mom-Gut' says that this is damaging. If you do intervene, I wouldn't let your child know, and I would gently prod the teacher into drafting specific goals and sharing them with your child, but even this boxes her into a corner.

As far as Mastery/Minimal Understanding, we are talking about 3rd grade here, right? So please remember that in elementary school, teachers don't expect anything beyond Minimal Understanding, (and in our experience - take points off for anything beyond that because it confuses them) and rarely reward anything beyond Minimal Understanding.

I've read stuff here and there that while one may find a few Introvert teachers in High School, one certianly isn't likely to find much besides Extrovert-preferance teacher is the early grades. And yes, a few individuals who with Extrovert preferance are very thoughtful about Intovert-Preference people, but most of us aren't - LOL - ask my DH about me!

My son was able to read a book with his hand up, ready to participate in class discussion at the drop of a hat in 4th grade, and the teacher was mightily impressed. He was one of those ones who would have liked to answer every question in class discussion. Many times over the year, his teachers expressed gratitude for his participation, because they see whole-class time as a choice between 'teacher lecturing' and 'teacher led discussion' and they believe that the kids learn better when their classmates are answering the questions, than if they stand up there by themselves and 'blab.'

FWIW, If your child does have an introvert-preference, that opens up lots of educational opportunities, such as doing Math from a book in the back of the room, that just aren't availible to highly extrovert-preferanced kids like my son, so take advantage of those opportunities, such as distance learning, and long, self-led project, that I've always drooled over. Think how restrictive it would be to get enrichment for a kid who only really engages in learning when he hears the roar of the crowd!

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com