Originally Posted by master of none
The teacher says when she calls on him, he always answers, and he will also raise his hand, but she is looking for free discussion between the kids and finds that he doesn't just open up and start talking.

There are no class participation points. She's taking it OUT of HIS GRADE. And she did it after she told us he was doing well with talking. So I guess it's really a matter of her communicating better with us.

she told us she was not permitted to teach above grade level. I specifically asked if that had changed, and she specifically avoided the question (twice).

And if we ask for a change when he's already been pegged for a low class, who knows what class he'd get. We are so confused. We want our boy to learn to talk, but we are also realistic about the diagnosis.

Master of none,

As a school administrator, I don't even know where to begin. First, get the 504 plan immediately. This is a legally binding document which the teacher MUST implement. Requirements may vary from state to state but in Florida if you have a diagnosis (ADHD, selective mutism) that affects student learning, you can get a 504 plan.

Second, there should be district guidelines that guide grading procedures for teachers. If you are unable to get clear answers from the teacher, I would go to the school administrator to discuss the situation. He or she can certainly give you district policy, but may also be the voice of advocacy that the teacher listens to. You can also check the accuracy of whether or not the teacher is "allowed" to teach above level. Typically, remarks like that are not accurately describing the school or district's policy. I've worked in 4 different districts in 2 states and have yet to know of any school or district administrator who wants to teach all children the same topic at the same time regardless of their abilities.

Lastly, continue to advocate for your child. You are not being unreasonable (from my OSH administrative position). The days of schools being nothing but preparation for assembly-line jobs are long gone and, at least in my district, students' INDIVIDUAL needs are met.

Sorry for the long post.