Originally Posted by deacongirl
I have a lot of experience with 3 year olds, and even gifted 3 year olds. But I don't think I have known a 3 yr old in person at quite the LOG of your ds. I am inclined to say just 3. But I bet you will get some more informed opinions.

Thanks Deacongirl. Maybe I'm in a crusty, fault-finding jerk mindset lately.

I've received similar references to him having a purportedly high LOG, but sometimes I don't see it. Maybe I'm too close to the source or have totally unreasonable expectations based on my own childhood. Probably both.

Take yesterday: he wanted to pretend to be a baby (he has been toilet training this week, and learned it inside a day after being told that diapers are expensive, and that we could buy more toys and books if he used the toilet, so there has been some identity shift). He wanted to pull out some homemade puzzles I made for him with 2-4 pieces from when he was <1...just little drawings of animals on cardboard. He literally would/could not put together a 2-piece elephant puzzle that he did at 5 months! When handed the pieces, he immediately said, "Oh, the elephant!" And proceeded to stare at them blankly. He wouldn't tell me if he honestly couldn't do it or if he was playing baby after 5 minutes of my waiting.

The reading has me puzzled. Other than asking him to sound out one word from the title of a few books we read at bedtime, I don't do any pushing on reading. Lately he has gotten really angry and will turn his head away when I even ask him to read one word in a day, so I've backed off completely and do nothing literacy-wise other than read the mountains of books that he requests daily (admittedly, I love our snuggly reading). It puzzles me that he was apparently self-taught in basics so early, and seemed highly motivated to read and spell at the time, yet has no desire to progress to independent reading. For instance, DH found a little spelling app when he was early 2, in which you drag letters into slots to spell words that match pictures, and he demanded to do the whole thing (probably ~500 words) in a few days. The dramatic shift from stratospheric to nonexistent interest is what has me concerned. Maybe there is more going on underneath the surface that I'm observing. I don't see any other vision issues, but I wonder if that merits investigation. We had a disastrous reaction to a pediatric ophthalmologist in the fall.

What is to give light must endure burning.