That's a great point, notnafnaf, and one DD will be able to understand, as she is very attuned to issues of different ability.

Have you noticed, a similar effect can occur when one is in the speaking role of a conversation: looking directly at the conversation partner for too long a time may cause the processing of the visual input to override one's train of thought, limiting speaking ability.

Ummmm...no!

person can get overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of often contradictory information that comes from another person. Some adults have poor performance control when dealing with kids such that their non-verbals and verbal content are completely out of whack such that looking at them while they speak is a bit disgusting (closest word that comes to mind.)

Also not ringing a bell!

Clearly my brain does not work like this! I can relate to sometimes feeling overwhelmed by the intimacy of eye contact, but the part where it makes you lose focus is totally foreign to me. If I am not looking at you, it probably means I am not paying attention. This means I "read" DD's not looking at me as not paying attention. I have learned that it does not have to mean that, but it's an example of a disconnect we face as child and parent. Parenting is tough sometimes!