Originally Posted by Austin
A suggestion would be for them to work together to solve a problem, make something, or to find something out.

Thanks - good suggestion. I'll see if I can cook up something that requires them both to use their strengths to get to the solution. That might be particularly useful.

I'd love any other practical ideas. I know it is good for him, but knowing that doesn't help me help him. And straight up encouragement doesn't work - we have been doing that for years.

Grinity - Yes, Snoopy is wildly underchallenged at school and things have only gotten worse over the summer. Having a tough time with him. Doesn't want summer homeschool - which is really what he needs to maintain his sanity. But is refusing to self-challenge these days. While Barbie has taken to reading huge novels, he has reverted to reading nothing but video game manuals.

He has only skipped one grade, but 2 years ago, it was recommended that he skip an additional two grades. I just can't see him doing that though. And, in fairness, at least during the months prior to the science olympiad, he is fully engaged in school and in studying for the contest. The problem is that after it is over, there is nothing to challenge him.

At least next year he will have the same set of teachers - and by the end of the year last year they had come to realize that he wasn't getting enough challenge. So, if they can just remember what they concluded last year, maybe we can make something happen this year.

Mary

Mary