I'm reluctant to limit screen time because screened devices now occupy several of my formerly non-screen activities, like reading the news, correspondence, banking, and research. Where DS is active in engaging with technology, like reading, solving puzzles with me, or discussing interesting videos, I see screen time and non-screen time as effectively interchangeable.

DS2.25 enjoys digital hidden picture puzzles and apps that offer interactive content comparable to material found in high quality children's nonfiction. We turn to YouTube or Wikipedia several times a day to investigate new concepts as they arise organically from discussions or books. Because of the relevance of accessing the content when it first comes up, I think my DS has a much richer concept of many topics than even children who are several years older than him. He has two shows he loves, and he watches these with rapt attention, and he's showing the ability to attend to and enjoy/appreciate some nonfiction adult programming, like Nova and National Geographic.

That being said, our media time is sprinkled throughout the day in small doses. It's seen as a tool and information portal, not a stand-alone source of entertainment. Our approach may well evolve as DS matures, but this approach has worked well for a 2 year old.

What is to give light must endure burning.