When I was 23 I felt completely misunderstood. I had dropped out of college (too much beer, too many boring classes), and thought I was an idiot, yet I couldn't find anyone who I could relate to. I was totally lost.

It wasn't until I was in my 40's in therapy, (having gone back, completed my degree, had a successful career in banking, got married and become a SAHM)that I mentioned to my counselor that my son had tested HG. He gave me a laundry list of things to look out for with him, explaining to me that he would see the world differently and in a much more complex way, and would have trouble relating to others and that others would have trouble understanding him and that he would need my support with this and etc, that it occurred to me to mention, by the way, my IQ is the same as his...Well, it was one of those "aha" moments and I haven't been back to therapy since. My counselor was more than a little annoyed that I hadn't mentioned it before, but it just hadn't occurred to me that being smart could actually hinder interpersonal relationships. It seems counter-intuitive.

I should probably add that I still feel a little bit idiotic for not realizing earlier why I didn't relate to people all the time, but I think it's party because I'm a little bit of a social chameleon. I can relate to most people on their level, but then feel lonely because they can't relate to me. I felt like I always had to curb myself in company.

Now I've realized I'm lucky to have my DH and a very few close friends who I can REALLY communicate with and I deal with the rest of the outside world on it's terms and we are all much happier.

I don't have supersensitive sensory issues but I am emotionally hypersensitive. My sister and my sons all have issues with noise and scratchy tags in clothes.