Originally Posted by ABQMom
Pemberly - I don't remember - how old is your kiddo? If she isn't too far past it, have you considered putting her through the Wilson Reading Program?

There's no "being past" Wilson. DD10 is starting Wilson this year, with a reading level exceeding the K-10 reading test she did. She's starting from the beginning.

For my DD, and I was making the assumption that it was similar for Pemberly's DD, was that these sight words and spelling are on top of the intervention curriculum. In our case, we've got Wilson reading to work on the underlying spelling difficulties, but at the same time, DD is doing the regular spelling curriculum. In her case, getting a list of words that follow a few spelling rules is useful. She still can't spell the base words (that's where Wilson will help), but learning the rules is still constructive.

polarbear, I think the point that you might have missed, is that handwriting, spelling, and mental calculations are all frequently lumped together as skills no longer needed in the modern age of computers, spell check, and calculators. Each family needs to set forward their goals and priorities. In our case, DH still has the condolence cards that were handwritten to him after his dad died. The emails he got are out there somewhere in the digital ether, but they certainly aren't on his bedside table. Looking at our daughter's strengths and weaknesses, being able to write a short card is an important goal we hold for her.