Originally Posted by Dude
Last week I had to write out a note to the DMV by hand, per their requirement, due to legal nonsense. During the same week, the cash register at the drive-thru died, and I had to mentally calculate my own change.

Using handwriting to write a quick note and mentally calculating change are two entirely unrelated tasks (although people who have challenges with one *might* have challenges with the other). My ds *can* write legibly enough to write a note to the DMV if he absolutely has to, but he is most likely never going to want to send a thank-you note using his own handwriting... and although his handwriting is technically legible, people who have no first-hand understanding of dyslexia and dysgraphia will at first glance judge that his handwriting looks very sloppy. So he uses technology anywhere and everywhere he can. Ironically many very non-dyslexic non-dysgraphic non-physically challenge people are also using those same technologies now too simply because they make life easier smile

Although ds can't rely on his handwriting, he can add change easily and quickly in his head. However, if he couldn't, I expect he'd carry a calculator with him or have a calculator app on his phone or have *something* he used as an accommodation because that's what folks who have a neurological difference that prevents them from accomplishing a task that's easy and routine for the rest of us do - they find ways to work around the task, they find ways to accommodate.

polarbear