Originally Posted by geofizz
[
We have found a long-delayed response. DD learns the words for the test, aces the test, then promptly mis-spells them the following week. However, I'm seeing them creep into her writing correctly over a number of months later.

Whether or not the spelling correctly creeps into writing later is going to depend on the root cause of the spelling challenge. Our dysgraphic ds is able to learn spelling words for spelling tests and he is able to retain the correct spelling knowledge so that if you asked him to tell you how to spell a word correctly later on he can, but his spelling breaks down tremendously during the act of writing.

We have found that when you're dealing with 2e you're often faced with the decision of having too many things to do to remediate and not enough time, as well as trade-offs on how much remediation do you do at the expense of being able to have your child work in areas of their strength. At the end of the day, our primary goal has always been to raise a child who is able to function in the world and who has retained their sanity and happiness along the way. For our ds, all the ability to spell correctly when quizzed one word at a time will never result in his being able to spell correctly while writing, and that's ok - he's got spell-check, he's got voice-to-text that spells correctly as it goes. We've read a lot of stories about successful adult dyslexics, and many of them state that they rely on other people to check/edit their writing for them before sending letters/memos at work etc.

I doubt my ds will ever ever feel comfortable sending a handwritten thank-you note, and he'll always feel a little bit self-conscious about having other people see his handwriting. But that is who he is, and he's ok with that. To be honest, I rarely receive handwritten thank-you notes anymore, they most always come through email and I'm ok with that!

polarbear

ps - Pemberley - for your dd, I'd probably continue to memorize words for spelling tests, do it at a rate of words/week that is reasonable for her, and if she's being asked to memorize too many call an IEP meeting to add an accommodation limiting the # of words. For her other writing assignments, request that she not be graded on spelling and that she have access to word prediction and spell-check software.