Originally Posted by sweetpeas
It's really good to hear some of you had children with similar "achievements" as young toddlers that leveled out a bit as they got older. I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I do hope that is what happens with DD. Gifted is wonderful and I could deal with it. DH and I were both in gifted programs, so I kind of "get" those challenges. But PG is an entirely different bag of bones and, honestly, a pretty scary proposition in my mind. So I do hope that DD is maybe just having an intellectual growth spurt and this won't necessarily be her trajectory.

I'm not offended and I totally understand where you are coming from, but I wanted to offer some reassurance. I have a child who did not level off at all. While PG may seem scary initially, some stuff that scares us turns out to be wonderful. The extreme gifted stuff has made aspects of our lives more complicated particularly as it relates to planning out education. At the same time though there is also immense joy. I no longer wish to will away some of the giftedness because it is part of who the child is and how he experiences the world. Yeah, it wasn't what I expected but isn't that the best part of parenting - all the unexpected stuff? So, I just wanted to say the best you can I urge you not to fear her development. It is part of who she is and being different doesn't have to mean having an unhappy or difficult life. In fact some of the g stuff can help make life pretty great.

School: I would strongly discourage you from moving for a school until you really know the school well and how it will work for both of your kids. There are a lot of variables there beyond the gifted part and I wouldn't make a major commitment until you've really worked with the school for a while and you are confident it will be a match for your kid.

Homeschooling: I would keep in mind that you don't have to do it all. Particularly as you are thinking about the cost of private school, taking just a fraction of that to hire out some of the education can simplify the process quite a bit. You can look to homeschool organizations and co-ops for social stuff - arts, PE, field trips, etc. And, then think about hiring tutors such as retired teachers or graduate students for any subjects where you'd like some assistance.