YAY for success!

Originally Posted by Ametrine
I told him that they are teaching him water safety when he told me the water wasn't safe. I could see him turning that one around in his head! LOL Then I said that if he's scared, he needs to use his words (remember that?)to tell the teacher, not screaming, because they don't understand why he's screaming.

I am so impressed with how you turn the situation to fit exactly the way his mind works. Keep up the good work, Mom!

I remember last summer when ds was really struggling. We had some good days where he stretched himself. He would come out of the pool grinning from ear to ear. I used every opportunity to reinforce that the reason he felt so good was that he was that he did something that was not easy for him. He's one who never wants to venture outside his comfort zone, so this was a way to try to make a point that could be generalized to other situations too. Your comment about "being brave means doing something you need to do even if you're scared" (which I love, BTW!) just reminded me of that.