Originally Posted by CAMom
I have an on paper PG kid (in achievement, IQ and school testing) who is a DYS but who really in a classroom is more like any teacher pleasing MG kid. He's grade skipped, still top of his class and still at least two years ahead in most subjects. But he doesn't speak up EVER, doesn't self-advocate and will do whatever work is put in front of him. We have battled repeatedly with the teacher this year who "forgets" that DS doesn't do 3rd grade math. She forgets about once a week. He's very very under the radar, doesn't want to make waves and doesn't want his teacher mad at him for questioning her.

So we know what he needs, know how to advocate for it- but that doesn't make it any easier!
I think it does - often - get easier. Even for you CAMom. What if you hadn't gotten that first skip? Perhaps your DS would be chewing the desks today? And you not doubting what you see - that's a big improvement. The fact that you know something is wrong, and are actively planning your next step is a sign of great improvement. It is so easy to just 'let him be - he's happy' when they have that wonderful capacity to act good in school. Where I started was: "I don't care about the academics, as I know he's bright and can learn. I just want him to learn to be a good classroom citizen." You are a lot further along than where I started!!!

BTW - My DH had a reputation as 'the worst child ever created' at home,but was perfectly behaved at school.

No generalizations work for this group, we all simply have special educational needs.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com