Not that I disagree with Dottie much wink , but I did want to mention that my dd12 is not a DYS level kid but we have still not found her to be ideally gifted. She was tested on the WISC-IV at 7 yrs 4 months and was a very erratic little person who didn't cooperate well but came out at the 99th percentile point if we give her the extra points from the extended norms. She is likely a tad higher than that testing showed due to a number of factors, but still not likely 99.9.

I don't know if it is just our area where the GT programming is filled with kids who got a 95th percentile score on any one part of a group ability test after a lot of hothousing or what, but she's stood out like a sore thumb and has needed a lot of accommodations beyond what the schools typically offer. Right now she fits well and doesn't stand out as being ridiculously misplaced but that is primarily due to her being btwn 1-2.5 yrs younger than her grade mates (bd made her one of the youngest in her grade and she skipped a grade).

Point being -- I wouldn't necessarily assume that you don't need to work a bit out of the box for a 99th percentile kid.