Originally Posted by Lukemac
Because this thread is so hot... I will post this question to you all? How do you all differntiate between OG, MG, EG, and PG? there are so many different charts lurking out there...

I started wondering about this when my son was your son's age Lukemac. I was exceptionally curious about the differences and for the past 3 years (DS is now 8.5) I have been conducting a little experiment based on observing as many HG, EG, PG kids we know. We live close to a college community with a high concentration of gifted kids and we know which parents have had their kids tested because it comes up so often in conversations among us moms. Although I don't know the individual scores and don't need to, parents have dropped enough hints for me to guess where their kids scores fall.

And this is what I see. My son has not been IQ tested but looking at what others have said about acceleration and PG, he is at least 5+ years accelerated in math and 8 or more years accelerated in two of the main sciences. I say this based on the materials he turns to most to get his learning fix and the type of questions he asks and how he analyses problems. But he is right smack at grade level for writing although his spelling and reading comprehension skills are easily at high school level.

He fits every description I read about PG EXCEPT for descriptions like "PG kids will be super bored in a class with MG kids" or something similar. My kid loves and just loves working with anyone because he just loves and craves company. He doesn't like to complain about anything. And he will not say working with someone else is boring because he cares very much about not hurting their feelings. He is very different from many of his very outspoken EG/PG friends in this respect. He would have very easily "covered up" his abilities if he was in a public school.

So I ask myself this question a lot. Why is he so different? Every PG kid I know is very vocal about his/ her feelings and very quick to speak up. Mine will first analyze if someone's feelings will be hurt and if he thinks they will be, he will just go with the flow, adapt, let himself be pushed around.

These kids are each very different and quite likely a combination of different 'G's too if I may suggest. That's my conclusion for now. smile And am realizing that I myself probably am PG in only ONE area but possibly HG in one or two and MG/OG or just plain vanilla average in most others. It's extremely interesting and humbling!