Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Originally Posted by Lukemac
I assume (hope?) that as kids get older, it is less difficult to figure out what they need???? Someone say that is true!!!!

You get better at advocacy, so it seems to get better. smile Although I'm only a couple years in. But it certainly gets better after the first school year is over. And the stress subsides after a while.... I know that now that my DS7 is in a good-fit school, I have not felt the need to advocate for anything yet, which makes me very happy.

From our experience, you get better at advocacy, you know more what your kid needs but the school? Well they may or may not know what to do with your kid. We're on school number two now and DS is only in 3rd grade. We're looking at school number three, or homeschooling or some sort of hybrid for next year. Because the school just doesn't "get" it.

I have an on paper PG kid (in achievement, IQ and school testing) who is a DYS but who really in a classroom is more like any teacher pleasing MG kid. He's grade skipped, still top of his class and still at least two years ahead in most subjects. But he doesn't speak up EVER, doesn't self-advocate and will do whatever work is put in front of him. We have battled repeatedly with the teacher this year who "forgets" that DS doesn't do 3rd grade math. She forgets about once a week. He's very very under the radar, doesn't want to make waves and doesn't want his teacher mad at him for questioning her.

So we know what he needs, know how to advocate for it- but that doesn't make it any easier!