Originally Posted by Lukemac
Because this thread is so hot... I will post this question to you all? How do you all differntiate between OG, MG, EG, and PG? there are so many different charts lurking out there...

I don't. I don't find these very useful distinctions and I think it's much better to deal with a given child and that child's needs than to worry about what artificial (with numbers that will change on next version of IQ test) box he/she fits in.

I don't think Grinity's way works either (sorry, Grin! grin) because at any level you choose, a child might require much more or much less. There are "PG" kids doing college work at 9 and those kids aren't satisfied with a grade skip or two or five. There are also PG kids who are quite happy at grade level. Sometimes those kids have better schools. Sometimes, they focus on other interests and spend 30 hours a week doing gymnastics or violin and don't much care about math. There are kids content to daydream in their own heads while boring discussions occur and others who throw desks over in the same situation. There are kids with 98th percentile scores in schools with oodles of high achievers who fit in great and don't need much accommodation at all. There are kids with 99.9 percentile scores in schools designed for such kids who don't fit at all despite identical IQs to the other kids. I don't find much benefit from the categories.