Originally Posted by Mia
We were in a similar spot three years ago -- ds was even taking Saturday classes at CTD, we lived in Evanston! My ds-then-5 had even higher MAP scores, and his school flat-out denied a skip. Wouldn't do it. We had him privately tested and they blew off the results.

It was beyond frustrating, and we ended up moving him to one of the massively over-priced private GT schools in the area (which we really can't afford).

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone above the principal's head when it became clear I wasn't getting anywhere with her. She was a brick wall.

There is some truth to the idea that if you skip her, you still want her to be top of the class in the *new* grade. Looking at her scores, I think she'd probably be well-placed in second grade next year.

If you feel a skip would be best for her, stick to your guns, and don't be afraid to escalate! I know that's not a ton of help, but I took the easy way out of the situation. :-/

I wish we could do a private school. We can't get any aid and don't have enough income to cover it. Even if I went back to work the money I'd pay in daycare for the younger two we'd be in the hole frown

We moved to this area for the good schools and pay really high property taxes. I'd move to a smaller house, but with the economy tanking and the housing market our house has lost too mcuh value. We'd lose everything we put into it, so we have no choice really. I am just going to have to persistent. Like I've said before I'd be open to enrichment, but they were already supposed to be doing it and it hasn't been successful.

This is our first session at CTD. We take them at the Naperville location(it is a 45 minute drive to get there, but still the closest location). How did you like it? My dd has really been enjoying it. We just got the dates for the spring session and I think it is going to overlap with her soccer seaspm so sadly we won't be able to do it. It looks like we can do a week of the summer program though instead.